MASSAGE IN SCHOOL PROGRAMME (MISP)
Massage in Schools is a programme that develops positive touch based on respect involving a formal massage routine as part of teaching and learning.
St Gregory's has introduced Peer massage throughout the school. All children have been taught a simple massage routine that they perform on a friend.
Peer massage is used to:
- Help children become calmer and have improved concentration.
- Develops confidence and increased self esteem
- Teach children to respect others and leads to social inclusion
- Improve Emotional health
- Help children recognise ‘good’ and ‘bad’ touch
- Improve motor skills
- Encourages visual and kinaesthetic learning.
- Children are encouraged to make choices
- Cooperation improves as children work in pairs and in groups
- There is a calmer classroom environment The teacher benefits from all these aspects
- Massage is fun!
Mindfulness in School Programme (MISP)
Mindfulness in school is taught through Paws b.
Mindfulness is taught in Years 3 - 6 in 6 x 1 hour lessons.